The Sannidhi of Sri Prasanna Krishnaswamy, the presiding deity along with Sri Rukmini Thayar & Aandal Thayar has been in existence prior to 1844 founded by the earlier Rulers of Mysore Empire His Excellency Nalwadi Sri Krishnaraja Wodeyar. The temple was formed by the Great Grandfather of Rao Bahadur Sri B.K. Garudachar. Later, the management of the temple was passed on to Rao Bahadur Sri B.K. Garudachar who was the Diwan of Mysore at Mysore Palace. Till the demise of Sri B.K. Garudachar i.e. till 13th June 1948, the temple was at the sole management of Sri B.K. Garudachar. After his demise, the management is in the hands of his successors who are his family members only and even today, the temple is well managed by the successors of Late Sri B.K. Garudachar.



The divine features of the presiding deity are so beautiful that one can enjoy them only by visiting the temple. To name a very few, the Lord is on a dancing posture with the left leg on the Earth and the right leg on a Lotus flower. The right hand palm is filled with BUTTER (in Tamil - Vennai Thali Kannan) (In Sanskrit – Navaneetha Krishnan) and the left hand is a Darbar Style. The finger nails in the hands and legs are so well sculptured which gives natural looks. The idol is sculptured with 5 different types of Hair styles for the Lord (Namely Curly hairs, Boy cut style, Shika, The Ancient style & konda in the centre). The idol represents a Golla (Meaning, the Cowherd). Sri Vainateya (Garuda), the vahana of the Lord is at his feet. The idol is around Two Feet and is in the form of a New Born Child (Balakrishna).



In addition to the contributions of the predecessors of Sri B.K. Garudachar, the latter constructed the Sannidhi for Lord Sri Rama in 1908. Sri Tulasi Ramdas, a great Saint who travelled extensively in India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Burma, with the Utsava Murthy of Sri Rama and his consorts celebrated Pattabhishekam every month on Punarvsu star. Finally at the end of his life, he handed over the deities of the Utsava Murthy to Sri B.K. Garudachar for continuation of regular poojas and Pattabhisheka to Lord Sri Rama. It is at this juncture Sri B.K. Garudachar constructed the Sannidhi and installed the Idols of Lord Sri Rama along with the moolavars on 2nd April1908 to fulfill the ambition of Saint Sri Tulasi Ramdas.

On account of the contributions of Saint Sri Tulasi Ramdas, and after the consecration of the Utsava Murthies of Lord Sri Rama and consorts and in memory of Saint Sri Tulasi Ramdas, the temple of Sri Prasanna Krishnaswamy came to be famously known as TULASIVANAM SRI PRASANNA KRISHNASWAMY TEMPLE and this contribution of the great Saint is a celebration with pomp and gaiety at this Tulasivanam Temple, which was the only temple in the South to celebrate Sri Ramothsavam.

In the year 1943, at the desire of the devotees, the Sannidhi for Lord Sri Lakshmi Nrusimha was constructed at the right side of the presiding deity. Along with this, separate Sannidhies were built for Sri Vishwaksenar, Sri Nammalwar, Sri Bhagawath Ramanuja, Sri Vedantha Desika and Sri Aadivan Shatakopa Yatheendra Mahadesikan (H.H. 1st Jeer of Sri Ahobila Mutt) were constructed and the consecration was done in the presence of H.H. the 42nd Jeer of Sri Ahobila Mutt.

Further developments

Later in the 20th Century, lots of improvements have been made to the temple such as Raja Gopuram, Mahadwaram on the Northern side, and re-construction of Vimana Gopuram for Sri Rama in 1998 (after the lapse of 90 years). The absence of Lord Sri Srinivasa was felt by many ardent devotees who throng the temple on all occasions. A separate sannidhi for Lord Sri Srinivasa was built to the left side of the presiding deity and was consecrated in the year 1996.


Likewise the Vimana Gopurams for all other deities including re-construction of Sannidhies for Sri Rukmini Thayar, Aandal Thayar, Aalwars and Aacharyaas along with a room for Kannadi Arai (Mirror Room) was made between 1998 – 2007.

Later in the year 2008, new Yaagashaala and Paaksahaala were constructed along with the consecration of Sri Hanuman Sannidhi and Vimana Gopuram.


  Copyright © 2009, Tulasivanam